Morality Based On Convenience
Morality based on convenience is defined as a “positive good” if it’s comfortable to do what is right, if others will see your actions as being good, if such actions will earn merit or recognition for you, and if one can somehow profit from it financially. However, the moment it becomes convenient or worthwhile to lie, steal, cheat, rape, break marriage vows, have sex with someone else’s spouse, get married or even go to church, morality based on convenience allows our actions to be approved and/or justified.
Morality Based On Convenience Allows Us To:
- Leave a marriage or any relationship, when it is uncomfortable (physically, socially, financially, etc.).
- Have sex why, when, where and with whom our heart directs us.
- Rob Peter to pay Paul, to take from the rich and give to the poor or simply give to ourselves.
- Decide who lives or who dies, who is a person and who is not a person based on social justice constructs (i.e., our circumstances).
A New Moral Code In America
According to George Barna “We are witnessing the development and acceptance of a new moral code in America.” When Mosaics (those aged 18 to 24) are compared to Baby Boomers, Mosaics are nine times more likely to have sex outside of marriage, six times more likely to lie, almost three times more likely to get drunk and twice as likely to use pornography.
When it comes to abortion, according to the Alan Guttmacher Institute (AGI), the abortion rate for Black women is almost five times that for white women in the United States of America  and that black women’s higher abortion rates are directly related to their higher rates of unintended pregnancy.
There Is No “New Moral Code”
“Without morals, a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they, therefore, who are decrying the Christian religion are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments.” Charles Carroll – 1800
We no longer have to wonder whether morality based on convenience is a “positive good” or a “positive evil“, whether or not it frees us or enslaves us, whether or not it brings us life or death. Morality based on convenience clearly speaks for itself. As Pastors, called by our Lord Jesus Christ as under shepherds to His sheep, we are charged by God to speak truth into the hearts of people. There is no “new moral code”. Either our actions are moral or they are not. Morality based on convenience is not moral, nor does it in anyway reflect God’s Truth. Jesus says: “What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops (Matthew 10:27).” If the Barna Group and the Guttmacher Institute are even half right, it’s time for the world to hear us shout from our housetops, there is NO NEW MORAL CODE! Jesus Christ is the way the truth and the life (John 14:6).
Brothers, we really need to talk.
1. The Barna Group, Ltd, “Young Adults and Liberals Struggle with Morality”, August 25th, 2008, (http://bit.ly/89a7R)
2. “Abortion and Women of Color: The Bigger Picture”, Guttmacher Policy Review | Volume 11, Number 3 | Summer 2008, (http://bit.ly/9oHwrR)
3. “Black History Month: Addressing Health Disparities”, February 16th, 2010, (http://bit.ly/a8tIUa).